I know I’m a bit late with my 2020 overview since it’s February but there are just some things I’m too excited about not to share. Even though 2020 was dominated by corona I try to look beyond that. I discovered some amazing restaurants, was able to go for brunches a few times and discovered some amazing brands.
We bought a house!
2020 will forever be the year the boyf and I bought a house. The process started in 2019, had some twists and turns beginning of 2020 and ended with a cliffhanger, a signed contract and a reduced life expectancy because of the stress. So far we’ve finished the living room and our bedroom, painted the office and our spare room and started emptying the garage. Still a lot to do, especially to the garden, but we’re getting there. 🙂
We grew our own vegetables
When we started looking for our own house I knew I wanted a garden. I’ve always been wanting to grow my own vegetables. We first tried with some easy things, such as beans and carrots, and then some cool things such as tiny watermelons and pickles. In 2021 we’ll go bigger for sure!
Brunch is still my favorite meal of the day
Before corona hit I would go brunching with my friends at least once a month in Ghent. Brunch is definitely the best of all worlds: something sweet, something savoury and the best company.
The first two “regular” brunches of 2020 were amazing and asked for more, so in between the two lockdowns in Belgium we went on two brunches. Not always that corona proof and not the best places we had had brunch already, so I’m already looking forward to our next brunches.
Here are my two favorite brunches of 2020:
Not only is the price quality very good, the view definitely helps to be in awe about the brunch. It’s in the same building as the STAM museum so perfect to combine a museum visit with a brunch. 😀
I’m so happy I still could have this buffet brunch before corona hit. This buffet was so so so good and extensive. Definitely one of my favorite brunches since we’ve started our tradition.
Still a board game geek in 2020
I think it all started with my aunt’s board game addiction but ever since the boyf bought me Catan for my birthday in 2011 I/we have gone craaazy on board games. We currently have 51 board games and at the beginning of 2020 I wanted to try to play all of them by the end of the year. So far we’ve played 23 of them but without corona it would definitely have been more. Do you love playing board games as well? 😀
Didn’t finish my reading challenge but still read 25 books
I’m such an avid reader but last year was difficult. Not because of an obvious reason starting with a ‘c’, but you can read all about that here.
New restaurants in Ghent I’m absolutely loving
Of course new places arrived in Ghent right when I left and started working from home almost constantly… But I’m glad I was able to discover them and made sure to go there every once in a while I went to Ghent.
- Mission Masala – Indian restaurant with amazing delivery choices that unfortunately aren’t available when eating in
- Umamido – Ramen restaurant that serves ‘honest’ ramen
- Kingslize – Pizza place that lets you adapt your pizza however you want
Brand discoveries I’m definitely taking into 2021 and beyond
- Waterdrop – They sent me a test package as part of a partnership and I’m hooked! I’ve almost finished all of my ‘cold water’ drops, and now they also released tea versions. They have shops in London, Austria, Germany and France and I hope they come to Belgium soon. I would go crazy in that shop. 😀
- The Ordinary – I discovered this brand through a tweet and ever since I can’t live without it. I definitely notice it when I don’t use their products for a while, so I just don’t do that anymore. 🙂 🙂
- Glov – Sometimes I end up in a scrolling mood on Zalando and then discover something new. This time I discovered some pink, fluffy reusable make up remover pads. I had been on the lookuit for some for a while and seeing those pink, fluffy versions did the trick for me. By now I’ve already bought a new 10-pack because I use them daily.
- Mister Kitchen‘s peanut butter without palm oil – I love peanut butter but not the palm oil in them. This is the best solution to this. 🙂
- Orecchini – Interchangeable earrings I hinted to my boyf for Christmas and which I’ve loved wearing ever since. Since I’m working from home I don’t wear earrings that often but they definitely have become my go to pair whenever I do dress up.
Walking is man’s best medicine
Ever since studying in Leuven where everything is feasible by foot I walk everywhere much more often. However working from home made my 10.000 steps a day go from easily reachable to impossible to reach. A few weeks into the lockdown I started walking more often again and as from April I even put on my Fitbit again. Ever since then I stepped almost 2 million steps (1.965.395 steps to be exact). 1268 km and much more to go this year!
Monthly highlights of 2020
Corona made 2020 a strange year. So many missed opportunities and food, but much cherished moments as well. I made sure to have a “Highlights” part in my monthly Bullet Journal spreads, and every now and then I look back on it. It makes me realise that there are a lot of fun moments throughout the month, and they don’t always have to be planned. A funny moment with friends or colleagues definitely also deserves to be in that list for example. And it makes me realise that 2020 with corona wasn’t all bad.
How was your 2020?